Today, I’m one of the demo cooks at the Porkopolis Eggfest in Cincinnati. It’s a lot of fun, and there are over 500 people expected!
I’m doing sides, desserts and drinks, and dipping back into some favorites:
- Browned butter fingerling potatoes
- Blackberry thyme crisp
- Grilled peach bourbon iced tea
Sound like a good hour of demo cooking? If not, I may have to grill a pineapple, too!
With the blackberry thyme crisp recipe below, the grilled peach bourbon iced tea can be found here.
The potatoes are simple:
Take 2 pounds of fingerling potatoes and boil them for 8 minutes, then immerse them in an ice water batch immediately. Coat with olive oil, adding sea salt and 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh rosemary and add to a grill pan. Put on the grill at 400 degrees and grill to brown all sides until fork-tender (10 minutes). While the potatoes are grilling, brown half a stick of butter. When the potatoes come off the grill, add them to a large bowl and coat with the browned butter, then serve!
- 1 quart fresh blackberries
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2-3 tbsp cane sugar (use more if berries are more tart)
- 4-5 sprigs thyme, leaves removed from stems
- juice from ½ lemon
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅜ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ stick butter, melted
- Combine filling ingredients gently so as not to break up the berries, and put into small baking dish.
- Combine all topping ingredients, and cover the berries in the baking dish
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until the top is browned nicely and the filling is deliciously bubbly. Serve as is, or with a dollop of creme fraiche.