I was contacted last week by a Chef’s For Humanity, an organization founded by Cat Cora (you might know her from Iron Chef America). The goal of the group is to gather culinary professionals and educations to fight hunger around the world. I think it’s a great group of people to push fighting world hunger, and I like that it’s outside of the political world, just a group of people trying to do what they think it right.
I’m hoping to become a ‘Blogger For Humanity’; I think the blogosphere is a great place to raise awareness of what’s going on in the world. No, I don’t think just blogging about hunger is going to fix the problem. There are political issues with this topic that even the best meaning chefs won’t solve. However, there are also a lot of issues that can be lessened, and having a group that’s not part of a government is a great step toward that, I think.
So how can you get involved? Here’s a press release for an event currently taking place. If you see anything worth getting or just want to get involved, check it out.
CHEFS FOR HUMANITY FIGHTS HUNGER
THROUGH ON-LINE AUCTION WITH CHARITYBUZZ.COM
NOVEMBER 14 – DECEMBER 10
Celebrity Chefs to Offer Private Cooking Lessons, Meals Prepared in Your Home, Private Parties in Upscale Restaurants and More!
NEW YORK, November 8, 2007 – Put your money where your mouth is November 14 – December 10 and support Chefs for Humanity during an on-line, one-of-a-kind auction with charitybuzz.com. Join some of the world’s most renowned celebrity chefs as they offer their culinary skills and share cooking secrets to raise funds to help stop hunger around the world.
“We’re thrilled to present this unique and creative way to help fight hunger and we encourage everyone to take part in this exciting fundraiser,” said Diane L. Burstein, acting director of Chefs for Humanity. “Our chefs are planning some fabulous culinary experiences for you and your taste buds.”
Celebrity chefs include Chefs for Humanity president/founder Cat Cora, Katie Lee Joel, Rick Bayless, Robert St. John, Ming Tsai, Christine Pirello, Dean Fearing, Charlie Ayers and Diane Henderiks. Auction items include:
- Cat Cora and Katie Lee Joel: Billy Joel Concert in New York and dinner at Bon Appetite
- Charlie Ayers: In-home dinner with wine pairings for 20 people in the San Francisco area
- Dean Fearing: Chef’s Table for eight at his new establishment, Fearing’s Restaurant, in the brand new Ritz Carlton in Dallas, TX
- Christina Pirello: In-home cooking class for 10 people within the Philadelphia, New Jersey, Delaware or New York region (winner can pay for travel expenses if out of the region). The theme for the class is “Cooking to Relieve Stress and Tension,” focusing on foods that make stress tougher for us and the foods that help us handle it with grace. The package also includes a signed copy of her newest book, Cooking the Whole Foods Way. The winner is responsible for food costs.
- Ming Tsai: Tasting Dinner with wines for six at Blue Ginger in Wellesley, MA. The lot also includes a meet and greet and four autographed copies of Ming’s book, Master Recipes
- Rick Bayless: Gift Certificate for dinner for two at Frontera Grill in Chicago, IL, a tequila tasting, products from the food line Frontera Foods and a signed cook book
- Bobby Flay: Dinner for four at Mesa Grill and a signed copy of Boy Gets Grill, Grilling for Life and The Mesa Grill Cookbook.
- Diane Henderiks: In-home healthy cooking demonstration for up to 20 guests. An entertaining and educational experience, the winner and friends will learn all about healthy cooking and nutrition while sampling a 4 – 5 course meal with wine.
To participate, log-on to www.charitybuzz.com beginning November 14, locate the Chefs for Humanity auction and start bidding.
Your participation will help support Chefs for Humanity’s vital programs, including “A Chicken in Every Pot” and the partnership with the United Nation’s World Food Programme, which launches in December with an exploratory field visit to Nicaragua and Honduras.
Chefs for Humanity is an alliance of culinary professionals and educators working in partnership with United States and global organizations, providing nutrition education, hunger relief and emergency and humanitarian aid to reduce hunger across the world. For more information, visit www.chefsforhumanity.org.